Missionary Pre-flight (Financial) Checklist
If you’re a future missionary, getting ready to serve, then you don’t have much time, so we’ll get to the point: We want you to be able to focus on the more important stuff, so we’ve put together a quick checklist to help you get all of your financial to-do’s taken care of before you leave on your mission.
- Let your financial institution know your travel plans. Financial institutions have very sophisticated fraud monitoring systems, and if you are traveling out of state or internationally, then you need to let your financial institution know.
- Get a fresh debit card just before you leave. Debit cards have a 2-year expiration date, so come in 1-2 weeks before you leave and Deseret First can issue you a new card on-the-spot.
- Make a list of emergency phone numbers to call if your debit or credit cards get stolen. Here’s a few important ones for Deseret First:
– Deseret First Member Services: 801.456.7000 or 1.800.326.3328 (toll-free)
– VISA Emergency Service (inside USA): 1.800.VISA.911
– VISA Emergency Service (outside USA): (410) 581.9994
- Make sure your parents (or someone else you trust) have access to your accounts. While you’re busy preaching the gospel, a problem might turn up that your family can help you out with. Adding your parents as joint owners of your accounts could help you avoid unnecessary distractions and get issues resolved more quickly.
- If a relative or friend is helping be sure to have them write the check to your home ward so that it is tax deductible. Ask your ward clerk for details.
- Set up Online Banking and make sure you can login if needed.
- Get your funds into a more liquid account. If you’ve saved with a Mission Savings Fund, or other long-term savings account, then you’ll want to get those funds into a checking account—that way you’ll be able to access your funds whenever you need to.
- Set up automatic alerts so that your parents (or someone else you trust) are notified whenever a transaction occurs. This will help prevent fraud on the account and let your parents know what’s been going on.
- Pay any credit card to $0.00 before you leave.